We believe that changing the perspective of childlike qualities from a criticism to a compliment will transform the way that people view and engage young people and ultimately help them become successful. In addition, we know that while adults and young people are different in many regards, they are the same more than they are different. Therefore, we take a human-centered approach to bringing about social change for young people and their communities.
To do this, we encourage everyone to think more like a child since we consider childlike qualities as holding the keys to social innovation and lasting social change. We recognize that young people value these qualities and so do we. Our core beliefs are:
- Discovery is essential to lifelong learning and personal development. A sense of discovery also allows individuals to push past real and perceived boundaries to new uncharted territory. It is the pathway to innovation.
- Independence allows individuals to express their beliefs, emotions and attitudes and allows us to exercise our sense of personal power to affect change in our own life (and that of others as well).
- Authenticity-The ability to embrace exactly who you are, the good and the bad, and to be your genuine self with everyone you encounter.
- Happiness is ability to be present in the moment, let go and enjoy life without reservation.
- Connection is needed by everyone and occurs when we, at a fundamental level, authentically engage each other as reciprocal partners while acknowledging the necessity of everyone’s strengths/gifts for the success of the world we live in. Successful connections support our sense of worthiness and belonging.